As we head into another day of working from home, we thought you might need a five minute distraction before you go and look in the fridge for the sixth time this morning...
Keep reading to test your knowledge of all things Ellerslie Racecourse and the Auckland Racing Club.
1. Which famous New Zealand racehorses are buried at Ellerslie Racecourse?
a. Sunline and Bonecrusher
b. Bonecrusher and Phar Lap
c. Bonecrusher and Kiwi
2. What year was the Auckland Cup first contested?
3. On which raceday was the Auckland Cup race first run?
a. Auckland Cup Day
b. Boxing Day
c. New Year’s Day
4. Who won the 2020 edition of the Barfoot & Thompson Auckland Cup?
a. Roger That
b. Glory Days
c. Five to Midnight
5. The $1,000,000 Karaka Million 2YO is one of the richest races in New Zealand. Who won the inaugural race in 2006?
b. Vincent Mangano
c. Sister Havana
6. Ellerslie Racecourse has even been visited by royalty. During the royal tour in 1953/54, which Royal joined us oncourse for the Boxing Day Races?
a. Queen Victoria
b. Prince Charles
c. Queen Elizabeth
7. Ellerslie Racecourse was home to the first automatic ______ in the world?
a. Jockey scales
b. Starting gates
c. Totalisator machine
8. The New Zealand Derby is one of the most sought-after races on the calendar for owners, trainers and jockeys alike. Who is the most successful jockey with six wins to their name?
a. Opie Bosson
b. Robert Vance
c. Vinny Colgan
9. Ellerslie is home to both the richest raceday and the richest racing carnival in New Zealand. Which are they?
a. The New Zealand Bloodstock Karaka Million and the Christmas Carnival
b. The New Zealand Bloodstock Karaka Million and Auckland Cup Week
c. Vodafone Derby Day and Auckland Cup Week
10. Is the Great Northern Steeplechase the:_____________
a. Longest race in Australasia
b. The richest steeplechase in New Zealand
c. All of the above
How did you do? Join us on Facebook for more content to brighten up these lockdown days.